08 July 2010

Just wondering. Holly is commonly associated with protection, especially the wood, and especially against witches. Leaves are used for various medieval medicines, and holly can guide dreams, as well as repel negative influences.

What about false hollies? What kind of magical properties do those have? I was watching a fansubbed anime, and it said false hollies ward off oni and obake. Is that true? ... I guess I'm more wondering whether the name of the plant was translated right. I assume they're talking about the Goshiki Osmanthus, if it was actually false holly.
Since I don't have an instance where I can use this knowledge, I'm kinda reluctant to slog through the gardenning websites and HP magical plant sites. However, I am now aware that false holly makes a great barrier/hedge, and are tolerant of heat, humidity, and rabbits.

No comments: